Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pallet Chair


 I don't know what type of wood this is. I would imagine that a serious carpenter would call it fire wood, however I like it because it is hard and heavy and there is a deep red in its grain.

I like chairs. The shape and the reason for them... sit and contemplate, eat, chat... whatever. I have always wanted to make a chair that works.

Pallets are a great source of timber which means I can experiment and there is no real cost other than transport of the pallets. I always make sure that I get pallets when I travel to town (Gisborne or Wairoa) making sure I never come home empty handed.

This chair caused many a pondering moment because I do not have a massive shop full of tools, I have to consider how to make it strong and sturdy without nails, bolts and screws everywhere. Dowel is used usually and all maner of jigs and contraptions to make things fit like a glove. In my case - glue, screws and hope.

In the end it looks good - is a bit 'upright' - and yet comfortable to sit on at the table.



No comments:

Post a Comment