Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Kauri Coffee Table - on Castors

The colour is so warm and the nail just makes it I recon
Many years back I was living in the Waikato... finishing my Psych degree. I answered an advert in the local rag selling a stack of old wood. A carpenter had recently passed away and had left the basement full of; his widows wife explained, "bloody stacks of the stuff and I don't know what to do with it!"

Amongst many finds I picked up a stack of Kauri. At 145 x 50mm it was the perfect sized timber to make something solid and lasting. I immediately imagined a table - coffee table of course.

The timber was rough sawn and needed a great deal of time on the belt sander. After it was put together I threw on tons of beeswax and linseed oil with steel wood. Steel wool makes the surface so soft.

The castors was an obvious choice. I like Castors.



No comments:

Post a Comment